Facts About the Memorial


On September 28, 1996 the U.S. House of Representatives passed Joint Resolution 70 authorizing Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. to establish a memorial in Washington, DC to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The Senate followed by passing Joint Resolution 426 on October 3, 1996, and on July 16, 1998, President Clinton signed a Joint Congressional Resolution authorizing the building of a memorial.


Situated on a four-acre site along the Tidal Basin, the Washington, DC Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial will be adjacent to the Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial and on a direct line between the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials.



In December 1999, the Foundation formed an international panel of architects and designers to develop and coordinate the program of requirements for the Memorial. The design competition attracted more than 1,900 registrants and over 900 submissions were received from architects, landscape architects, students, sculptors, and professors representing 52 countries around the world. In September 2000, Entry #1403 by ROMA Design Group of San Francisco was selected was the winning design. Then in 2006, Master Sculptor Lei Yixin was named Sculptor of Record. The sculptor is charged with the task of capturing not only the likeness of Dr. King, but his essence and spirit as well. Finally, the McKissack & McKissack / Turner Construction / Tompkins Builders / Gilford Corporation Design–Build Joint Venture was selected as the contractor for the project in 2007.